This is a season of the “immigrant” as a piñata for the sons of the soil.
Although I didn’t agree with
With regards to illegal immigrants, research has been sparse -- although an
With regards to illegal immigrants, research has been sparse -- although anexceedingly elegant summary of the complexities is here. The key issues that any study must answer vis-à-vis immigrants are:
- The effect of immigrants on wages – the average and the marginal labor.
- The distributional impact – i.e., does the wage distribution tilt asymmetrically.
- The tax contributions the immigrants make.
- The impact of immigrants on resources within a society (hospitals, schools etc.,)
- The relocation centers of immigrants. i.e., do they choose
Virginiaover ? Montgomery
All this said, one could say “show me the money”. i.e., how does all this enable one to think about where to invest? I have great faith in the intrinsic ability of masses to weed out irrelevant information and identify that what matters at the end. Survival! Surviving today for yet another day. Illegal immigrants in the
- The changing contours of growth-patterns in non-tradeable American goods and services industries.
- The areas of US where economic decline is anticipated. So, for eg., short industries with sales focused in say,
Alabamaand Georgia, and go long on industries with sales in Washingtonand . Oregon
- Given the fact that illegal immigrants ear 2 to 30 time their home wages in the
, an obvious ‘wealth effect’ is to be observed. Thus, invest in industries that cater to their needs: cola, beer, gambling, wire transfers, auto parts manufacturers, super-stores etc., In the coming years, it is fairly clear, that one is likely to see more illegal and legal immigrants in the US – with the tacit consent of various industries – despite the goose-stepping propagandists on the Right and the Left. These industries thus have a growing consumer base with growing needs. US
So, perhaps we'll soon see labor economists being hired on Wall Street!